Braised beef with polenta
Ingredients (for 4 portions)
- 1 1/2 litres milk/water (1/2 milk, 1/2 water)
- 200 g polenta
- 40 g butter, nutmeg, salt
- 2 tablespoons mustard, salt, paprika, pepper, rosemary, oregano
- 4 to 8 slices of braising beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 dl stock
- 1 - 2 onions
- 1 bunch parsley
- 150 g sliced Bündnerfleisch, raw ham, coppa or bacon (or Bündnerfleisch Julienne)
Method (Preparation time: 15 minutes, recipe takes approx. 1 hour)
Add a little salt to the 1 1/2 litres of milk and water and bring to simmering point. Pour in 200 g of polenta flour (semolina corn or bramata) and stir continuously until it has taken on a smooth, thick consistency. Melt in butter and keep warm. Grate in nutmeg to taste and stir into the mixture.
Coat beef slices with the herb mix. Chop parsley and onions finely and gently stew in oil. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the meat, the stewed parsley and onions, and the finely sliced Bündnerfleisch or other specialities in layers. Cover and allow to steam gently in its own juice for 50 to 60 minutes. At the halfway stage, add stock if necessary and turn the meat. Serve the dish with polenta.